Top Indian shuttlers, including best on the planet P V Sindhu, will have the option to hit the courts from July 1 if the Telangana government permits the Badminton Association of India (BAI) to sort out a national camp in Hyderabad.
While a lot of Indian players have begun rehearsing at the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy (PPBA) in Bengaluru after the Sports Authority of India (SAI) set down principles for resumption of preparing before the end of last month, the tip top players in Hyderabad had no such karma.
With COVID-19 cases flooding in Hyderabad, the Telangana government, as a prudent step, broadened the lockdown till June 30 however it implied the resumption of the game got additionally postponed for the top players in the state.
“The pandemic has put a break on our preparation however in the wake of gauging the circumstance, we have chosen to begin the preparation camps in Hyderabad from July 1, subject to express government’s consent and endorsement,” BAI secretary Ajay Singhania told PTI.
In March, the BAI had deferred the Senior National Championships, planned for Lucknow between April 27 to May 3 in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and it has now chosen not to continue the residential circuit till September.
“BAI had a conversation with all state secretaries on the status of continuing the household competitions and after meetings it was concluded that residential competitions won’t continue till September,” Singhania said.
“The pandemic circumstance will be additionally gotten to and surveyed in September.”
In February, BAI had declared the presentation of a staggered local competition structure, which will have a joined prize cash of around Rs 2 crore, to supplant the senior positioning competitions in the nation.
The patched up structure should have three degrees of competitions — Level 1, 2 and 3 individually yet it didn’t see the light of the day because of the pandemic.
Out of four global competitions that the nation was booked to have this year, two have been dropped up until now.
Hyderabad Open Super 100 (August 11-16) and India Junior International Grand Prix (August 4-9) in Pune have been dropped, while India Open Super 500, planned for March will be held from December 8-13 out of a ravamped BWF calender.
The global circuit was shutdown after the finishing of the All England Championships in March.
A month ago, the BWF reported another 2020 competition schedule with the World Tour set to come back with the Taipei Open from September 1.
India has revealed almost 5 lakh infection cases.